Yay Hippie Hump Day is Back! You may have noticed I have been a little quiet the past couple weeks. Unfortunately, my poor sleep deprived brain could not think of anything more than, well sleep . . . Thankfully, though I have found Clove Oil, and it is good, really good!
We are at it again,
well really it never stopped . . . TEETHING I wish all of these silly teeth would come in already, GEESH! We went from the flu, to a growth spurt, straight to two teeth coming in at the same time, so needless to say there have been some cranky days and some sleepless nights. I know all of this will pass and over the course of my life this is a very short period of time, but in the mean time, I needed some solution to give my baby some relief and maybe get me some sleep.
So far in my arsenal of teething pain relief I have Baltic Amber Teething Necklaces and Hyland’s Teething Tabs, and while these two methods are still better than nothing, I really wanted something natural that would provide some numbing relief directly at the source of the pain. I remembered reading that clove oil was used as pain relief in the early days of dentistry so, I thought it was worth a shot.
Clove oil has a warming effect when applied to your skin and straight clove oil could burn your little one so it is important to dilute it. When I prepared my clove oil I used coconut oil since I wanted it to be semi solid so I could transport it in a lip balm tube, but olive oil would work as well. I also had a leftover vanilla bean pod that I threw in because vanilla is supposed to also have soothing properties, but this is totally optional.
This little concoction was super easy to make and it made my house smell amazing! A few minutes after applying the oil to A’s gums she started giggling and said “Mmm, Ahhh, Ahh!” I translated this to mean “OMGee Mama, my gums haven’t felt this good in a long time! Truly you are the best Mama on the planet and I love you dearly!” To which I responded, “Right back at you baby cakes ” Then we both got some much needed sleep and the rest is history. So here it is:
Vanilla Clove Oil for Teething
- 2 Tbsp – Coconut Oil
- 12 drops – Pure Clove Oil
- 1 – Leftover vanilla bean
- Melt coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Add vanilla bean to coconut oil. Cook the oil mixture for 10-15 minutes to infuse the vanilla.
- Strain oil mixture using cheesecloth or a coffee filter.
- Add clove oil to mixture and stir well. Note: Since clove oils will differ, add a few drops at a time and test the clove oil on yourself. You want to make sure the oil is numbing, but not burning.
- Store your oil in a sterilized container. I stored some of mine in a lip balm tube for the diaper bag and the rest in a small tin for home.
- Rub on baby’s gums as needed. Remember to use common sense . . . Even though this is a natural remedy, too much of anything is never a good thing.
If you are not using the vanilla bean you can just melt your coconut oil and add the clove oil to it. You could also use a higher concentration of clove oil to treat your own tooth aches! Pretty amazing, no? Let me know how it works for you and link up any natural teething/toothache remedies you have in the linky! Oh, and have a very Happy Hump Day!
Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and as such, this post does not constitute as medical advise and all that jazz. Just letting you know what worked for me from one mama to another. You should always check with your pediatrician, dentist, doctor, faith healer, etc. for medical advisement. You have been warned …